About Usage of Document Images
1. Regarding materials provided by the National Archives of Japan, the Diplomatic Archives of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan, or the National Institute for Defense Studies
(1) Personal use
- You can freely download our document images for the purpose of personal use and are welcome to also print them out.
For information on how to print documents or download them, please refer to our Browse Guide.
(2) Citation style for academic publications and print sources
- JACAR would deeply appreciate if papers that quote our holdings might be emailed or faxed to us. Knowledge of your work as well as how you have used this website would be helpful in making future improvements.
For your reference, we suggest the following citation guidelines when using JACAR’s resources:
1.Bearing in mind that quotations ought to be as concise as possible, we suggest stating, in full, “Japan Center for Asian Historical Records” only once in your document. After writing “Japan Center for Asian Historical Records,” you might continue by typing the abbreviation “JACAR” alongside specific holding source information. For instance, you might type JACAR followed by an A （National Archives of Japan）, B （Diplomatic Archives of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs）, or C （National Institute for Defense Studies of the Ministry of Defense）. The abbreviated holding information ought to then be followed by the relevant 11-digit reference number （example: JACAR: A01000012800）.
2.We suggest noting document holding institutions as well as volume or serial numbers in parenthese. For example, in citing a Foreign Ministry record from Diplomatic Archives of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan, you ought to note details such as entry number, specific whereabouts, and paragraph number （example: A. 3.4）.
3.In the case that your quotation includes a large quantity of images, do your best to include an easily identifiable placemark after the reference （example: Ref.B02030938800 （58th picture））.
JACAR（Japan Center for Asian Historical Records）Ref.A01000012800、太政類典・第二編・明治四年～明治十年 第八十五巻（国立公文書館）
JACAR（Japan Center for Asian Historical Records）Ref.B02030938800（第58画像目から）、共産党宣伝関係雑件／対日宣伝関係 第三巻（A.3.4）（外務省外交史料館）
JACAR（Japan Center for Asian Historical Records）Ref.C01004996400、自昭和5年1月～至昭和6年12月「來翰綴（陸普） 第1部」（防衛省防衛研究所）
(3) Inquiries about original and secondary use
- In principle there is no limit to the secondary use of image data for materials provided by the Diplomatic Archives of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan or the National Archives of Japan.
If you would like use documents from JACAR on television, please include the name of our institution along with that of the source material’s holding institution.
(Example 1) Provided by Japan Center for Asian Historical Records / Collection of the National Archives of Japan
(Example 2) Provided by Japan Center for Asian Historical Records / Collection of the Diplomatic Archives of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan
Alternatively you may prefer to mention JACAR and the item’s holding institution in the program’s end credits. Please also check the website of the document’s holding institution.
-National Archives of Japan
-Diplomatic Archives of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan
- For materials provided by the National Institute for Defense Studies, please contact the institute if you would like to use document images on television or in a publication.
-National Institute for Defense Studies Center for Military History (Reading Room)
- In the case that you contact one of these holding institutions, please first check the reference code and“call number of holdings” at its respective institution by clicking on“open details”after a search.
2. Provision of documents from institutions other than those above
- Rules for secondary use of document images vary according to holding agency, so please be sure to check the use of rules and regulations on the website of each holding institutions before downloading or printing for use.
- In the case that you contact one of these holding institutions, please first check“call number of holdings”by clicking on“open details”after a search.